Time Travelling without actually changing the timeline.

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 by Mr. Tambay

I live learning about my country's history at school and through history books. From KKK, Rizal's story, colonization by the Spaniards, and others, I learned them because it is taught in school. And I thought I already know a lot about my country's past.

Then I witnessed Gabi-i sa Kabilin 2012. This event made me realized that there are some history facts that were not recorded on History books offered by schools. Facts that you will know if you open your mind, and give them attention. Facts that will give the students an interest to study Philippine history in schools.

Casa Gorordo Museum.
I felt the way of living back in the past when I stepped inside Casa Gorordo Museum in Parian. It is a vintage house that was built, I think, during the Spanish Colonization. This house tells me that was owned by someone who belonged to the high-class, maybe a mayor, governor, of like that. Seeing the exterior view, I thought that this house was like the ones that I see in the movies with settings in the past, a typical one I must say. But the house itself tells a story, a story that I thought did not exist back in that time. Stories like entertaining a visitor only on a specific place, depending on how important the visitor was, manner of courtship while inside the lady's house, the number of steps in the staircase and what it symbolizes, the different meaning of the divisions of the house and their corresponding decorations, and more. Honestly speaking, I did not know any of these, not until Gabi-i sa Kabilin.

Room from the past.
There are also some parts that tells you something about the past just by looking at it. An example is this picture of an old room inside Museo Parian sa Sugbo, a few walks away from Casa Gorordo Museum. Just by looking at this amazing scenery makes me picture out how our ancestors lived during their time: simple yet livable. It makes me imagine how things are done here in this room, how you sleep, and what you do when you are alone here in this room. There were some images flashing on my mind when I was here but I believe these imaginations were far from the actual happenings. Something that I wanna know if ever there is a chance.

The Original Flag of KKK.
Gabi-i sa Kabilin was also my avenue of witnessing artifacts that greatly influenced the Philippines. Last year, I had the chance to view our Jose Rizal's garments when he was a teenager. I couldn't believe that Rizal was a short man! This year, it is my honor to witness the authentic flag of the KKK, which was one of the groups who fought for revolution. I never thought that I can personally witness artifacts like this KKK flag in my entire life. Now I can say, I am proud to be a Filipino.

With Gabi-i sa Kabilin, I was able to know more not only the history of my country, but also the story of other's culture. I was given a chance to try a Chinese tradition of bathing the Buddha in Chu Un Temple located somewhere in V. Rama Street. I actually forgot what is the meaning of this ritual, but I remembered one: that you vow to keep a pure mind, that you must think with purity. I can say that Chinese are really religious, and Buddha is the center of everything they do in life. This characteristic is what Chinese people different from the others, and what makes them unique compare to other cultures. Also in the same temple, I was able to experience traditional Chinese calligraphy. A piece of paper with markings of Chinese characters were given to us for us to trace the characters using a special type of pen. Unlike the ordinary way of writing, you write these characters in a special way. Before and after writing, you have to speak a special chant, more of like a prayer, depicting again how religious Chinese people are.

Chinese calligraphy that I personally traced.
I am very much thankful to Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. for organizing an eye-opener. If it wasn't for Gabi-i sa Kabilin, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the amazing history our country has. And because of Gabi-i sa Kabilin, I can say this line: History, it is more fun in the Philippines!

This is an official entry to the 2012 Gabii sa Kabilin Blogging Contest.