Traveling Back in Time: Gabii sa Kabilin 2011 Experience

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 by Mr. Tambay

May 27, 2011 was a day of history as the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. once again celebrated the 5th year of Gabii sa Kabilin. 11 museums and 7 heritage sites opened its doors to the public for a once-in-a-year nighttime heritage tour around Cebu from 6 p.m. until midnight, aside from their normal operating hours.

With CBSi pipz inside the Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House.
Together with other CBS members, I was given the opportunity to witness this award-winning, annual event. It was my first time to join it and I felt so excited. Many things went inside my mind before the event started. The feeling of exhilaration while walking towards Casa Gorordo Museum was seen all over my face. Seems to me that Gabii sa Kabilin has something big to give to the people.

CBSi with the owner of Museo Parian sa Sugbo.
When the show has already started, my expectations was not met. I expected something big but Gabii sa Kabilin gave me even bigger than I anticipated. When we already started the tour, the only words my mouth uttered was the word “Wow!” Nothing in the whole event made me feel so tiresome. Each museum we visited gave its own ways of awing us. It seemed to me that every item I saw is telling me a story about the past, partculary the Spanish colonization times.

Thanks Ka Bino for an awesome walking tour!
During our walking tour from 1 museum to another, Ka Bino Guerrero gave us a treat when he gave us a thing or two about the King of Cebu, Rajah Hamabar, or popularly known as Rajah Humabon. He told us many interesting facts about Pre-Spanish times like the significance of the tattoos during their time. But the most interesting part of his exclusive tour with us is the story about their sexual practices. Before the event, I expressed my interest to this matter to Ka Bino via Twitter. All of us heeded when Ka Bino started to spill the beans. Kudos to Ka Bino for a wonderful tour. Thanks!

At Fort San Pedro. Started raining already when we got there.
A real Spanish Flag used in the 16th century!
Rain was never a hindrance to us and to other people who want to turn back time through Gabii sa Kabilin. Everyone was so happy and busy taking pictures while the water from the heavens are falling down. The tartanillas and buses also gave the public ease of access to the museums and heritage sites. They also rendered comfort in traveling and fun for tartanilla first-timers. The idea of tartanilla ride contributed a lot in stimulating the whole event like you are in the past.

It was my first time, but definitely not my last time. Gabii sa Kabilin was truly an experience that I will never forget. It boost my nationalism and my love for my country, its history and culture. No wonder Gabii sa Kabilin grabbed the prestigious Anvil Award of Merit for Public Relations Program – Sustained Basis: Arts and Culture and Heritage Tourism. This year’s Gabii sa Kabilin ended with a bang. And I cannot wait for Gabii sa Kabilin 2012.

Photos courtesy of Mikyu Maglasang